Wednesday, April 12, 2023

It's Been a Year...

August, 2020:

Well, it's been a while since I've blogged, Guys.

I guess you'd say I have a good excuse for this year... We were gone from January 12-February 13... Most of that was in Texas, because we got a message that my mother had a stroke and at that time (1/10/20) they were giving her 7-10 days. We got some things taken care of and flew to Texas on January 12th. 

Well, let me back up... on December 17th, my dad had been having trouble breathing and that evening, he finally called 9-1-1. When they got there, they weren't sure what was wrong with him. They thought it was possibly a heart attack. They rushed him to the hospital and after a few tests, they said pneumonia. But not the viral kind... whatever that means. Then they sedated him, so they could do more tests and also he would be less stressed and able to heal faster. They also put him on a ventilator. I later found out that it is very unusual for a man of his age, to get off of a ventilator alive. :O After they brought him to, they said that he had double pneumonia and it WAS viral and that he needed to go to rehab to build his strength back up.

My brother took off work and went to Texas to set my parents up in a care center. While my dad was in the hospital and rehab, my mom would need to be cared for. For that reason, she went to the rehab facility too. She had Parkinson's disease and could not care for herself. A good thing was that her 2 hospice ladies (her wonderful nurse and her wonderful aide) would be able to continue her daily and weekly care that they provided. We were ecstatic about that! They loved my mother so much!! And she loved them! My brother found a place that would take both of my parents and also have them in the same room. BIG YAY!

Anyway, when we got to Texas my mom wasn't eating. The hospital had said that she couldn't respond and she couldn't swallow. A day or 2 later, she was responding to me, taking drinks of water by straw and absolutely responding to us. I told my dad that I thought she could eat, and we started her on pureed food. One of the days, while I was feeding her, I told her the Drs. had said that she wouldn't recover from her stroke. Her response was, "Well, they're stupid sometimes." LOL. At that point, my parents thought they were going home in about a week. I made flight arrangements for us to fly home.

A few days later, I noticed my mom "testing out" her extremities. Then we had some paperwork to take care of. She just seemed unhappy and within a day stopped eating again. I don't know the why's. I don't think it's because she got worse. But I think she realized her condition wasn't what it had been and that was the last thing she wanted. She knew she would continue to go downhill and she lost her will.

It was terrible to see her like that. But also, I am so glad that I was able to spend that last month with her. She passed away on 2/3/20, but it right before midnight and they pronounced her death on 2/4/20, so that's what is on the paperwork, officially. I will miss her so much. She was always my greatest cheerleader. She was an upbeat, encouraging woman! I love her so much and I know there are times I'll be lost without my mother here on this earth.

But the good thing is that she is whole and healed now and with our Lord. No more pain, no more incapacities. And Praise the Lord, I will see her again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been a Year...

August, 2020: Well, it's been a while since I've blogged, Guys. I guess you'd say I have a good excuse for this year... We wer...